Subclass 870 Temporary Parent Visa
If you are the parent(s) of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and want to make a long term, temporary visit to Australia, this visa may be the solution for you.
- This visa allows the parent(s) of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to enter Australia temporarily to be with their children
- You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa.
- The balance of family test does not apply to this visa.
- The visa can be granted for either three or five years. You can re-apply for further Temporary Parent visas to extend your stay to a maximum of 10 years.
- You cannot work in Australia on this visa
- The cost of this visa is high (currently $5,000 for a visa of up to three years and $10,000 for a visa of up to five years). This cost is split into two instalments
- You cannot include family members in your visa application (so a mother and father would need separate visas).
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for a Temporary Parent Visa:
- You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor who is either an Australian Citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Your sponsor will need to submit a sponsorship application and will need to be approved as a sponsor before you can submit your visa application. The visa application must be submitted within six months of the date of the sponsorship approval
- You must meet Australia’s health and character requirements
- You must have an intention to stay in Australia only temporarily
- You must have enough money to support yourself while you are in Australia
- You must have adequate health insurance cover.
The information here is just a brief overview of the process and many other points may need to be considered. We have helped many parents reunite with their family in Australia, so please get in touch and we can help you decide whether or not this is the right visa option for you.
Get in touch with Esther with a simple phone call or fill in the form below
and we can work with you on your Australian journey.