Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (subclass 400) visa
The subclass 400 visa allows you to work in Australia in a highly specialised job.
This visa is for people who have highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can help Australian business and can’t reasonably be found in Australia. The work or activity must be non-ongoing.
Once the visa is granted, you must only do the work or the activities for which the visa was granted.
The visa can be granted for up to 6 months, but generally for a stay period longer than 3 months, a strong business case must be provided with the application.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for this visa, you must:
- Demonstrate that you have highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can assist Australian business, can’t reasonably be found in the Australian labour market and will be non-ongoing
- Demonstrate that you have work in Australia (for example, an offer of temporary employment on a specialised project)
- Be able to support yourself and any dependent applicants
- Intend to visit Australia temporarily
- Meet Australia’s health and character requirements.
Can I include my family?
You can include some members of your family in the application (generally your spouse/ partner and your children). An extra Department Home Affairs application charge is payable by those additional applicants and they must also meet Australia’s health and character requirements.
We have a lot of experience with this visa and have helped several Australian businesses bring specialists to Australia on a short term basis to help with specific projects. If this is what your business needs, please contact us to see if we can help you, too.